I’m a software developer living in Pittsburgh, PA. I work on enterprise WordPress websites and design systems at Penske Media Corporation.
I love CSS, and in my conference speaking and blog writing, I advocate for CSS to be treated more formally in code-bases. I help others to both see CSS as a programming language (yes, we write algorithms in CSS!), and to see themselves as programmers.
In addition to my job, I facilitate the weekly meetings for the WordPress Core CSS focus, where we are working on a CSS audit of the WordPress admin, and an ongoing initiative to overhaul the color scheme implementation.
Apart from my work in tech, I love to run, bike and generally be outside. I’m learning Spanish, I draw monsters and create zines, and am strengthening my racial justice muscles with What’s Up Pittsburgh.
I write about personal and tech-related topics.
And at this point, I am getting close to 10 years of content! Here are some recent posts.
- Note to future Lara: Probably don’t rename directories just because it “feels better”Lesson learned: Changing existing names with “better” new names is not necessarily a good idea because there will always be “better” new names.
- Let’s play: “Where is this CSS coming from?”It’s a 1+ player game that can last from 1 hour to, um, much longer!
- As of November 11, 2020Back from travel and resetting.
- As of October 16, 2020Cross country road trip coming up, and updating the AMP plugin.
- As of September 14, 2020Preparing for a bike trip, planning Gutenberg project, contributing to WordPress Core CSS chat.