Katie Salen: Making Learning Irresistible: 6 Principles of Game-like Learning
Key Design Principles
How do we to take a theory and translate it into an actionable principle?
- Creating a need to know:
- Games drop players into problem spaces that a player is willing to confront and solve.
- Curriculum design should revolve around creating a need to know, not about what to know.
- Games as spaces of possibility:
Read More →
- Teachers create a space of possibility for students or players to tinker, explore, and test assumptions.
- Start with content to teach and present it in a space for learners to experiment.
- Get students comfortable with failing by structuring coursework around iterations.